EVALUATION OF OSTEOPOROSIS(1)
- The process of bone loss may not be manifested in symptoms, physical signs or unique laboratory findings.
- The diagnosis is made following the incidence of typical osteoporotic fractures, and/or by quantitative measurement of bone mass (density).
- Based on DXA bone density measurement and the comparison of the results to the mean bone density in young age (peak bone mass), the World Health Organization (WHO) has defined the following states:
- Normal: bone density within the range of one standard deviation compared to the young age mean or higher (T-score -1 or higher).
- Osteopenia: bone density between 1 and 2.5 standard deviations compared to the young age mean (T-score between -1 and -2.5).
- Osteoporosis: bone density within the range of 2.5 standard deviations compared to the young age mean or lower (T-score -2.5 or lower).
For further information, please consult your doctor
Liberman U, et al. אוסטאופורוזיס במבוגרים אבחון, מניעה וטיפול עמדת עיל"א, הר"י המועצה המדעית והאגף להבטחת איכות 2011.